Four Yoga Poses for Back Health
This series of four poses is designed to support spinal health and relieve back pain through yoga.
1. Come to lie in your back with the knees bent and the soles of your feet on the floor.
2. Do 5-10 Pelvic Tilts to warm up the spine.
Supported Bridge Pose
1. Have a yoga block nearby.
2. Press into the soles of the feet to lift the hips. Slide a yoga block under your sacrum, coming into Supported Bridge.
3. This should be a comfortable resting position that you may want to hold for several minutes.
4. To come out, press into the feet the lift the sacrum off the block, slide the block out, and slowly lower your back on to the floor.
Reclined Big-Toe Pose – Supta Padangusthasana
1. Have a yoga strap nearby.
2. Release your left leg flat on the floor (you may keep it bent with the sole on the floor if this is more comfortable) as you draw the right knee in to your chest.
3. Loop the strap over your right foot and straighten the leg coming in to Reclined Big Toe Pose – Supta Padangusthasana.
4. Repeat on the other leg.
Supine Spinal Twist – Supta Matsyendrasana
1. Lift your hips slightly off the floor and shift them about an inch to your right.
2. Bring your right knee into your chest and extend the left leg on the floor.
3. Drop your right knee over to the left side of your body, coming in to Supine Spinal Twist – Supta Matsyendrasana.